Saturday, November 1, 2014

My WD-40 Saves the Day

I mentioned on my last post that I picked up a couple of Cisco Compact Flash (CF) cards. I forgot to mention that I also picked up a Cisco 3560 8-port (C3560-8PC) switch in our warehouse's dumpster. There were some sticker or paint residue on top of it and I wanted to clean it off. I've read and tried using baby oil, vegetable and canola cooking oil but they weren't effective. I also read somewhere you could use mayonaise or peanut butter but I didn't go that far.

So I ended up using WD-40 and my cleaning went smoothly. I just bought a small bottle and sprayed it on the gooey area and left to absorb for a few seconds. I used a hard plastic card (used my Western Union ID card) to scrape the goo and wiped off with tissue. The WD-40 is also a nice cleaning agent for my Cisco gear. It makes them glossy again and doesn't affect the metal, plastic or paint on the device.


Before:

After:


My Cisco storage box:

No comments:

Post a Comment